Faith, Hope and Charity 1906
"Faith, Hope and Charity." Three earliest houses in Kingscote. Photo 1906. sourced from "Kangaroo Island Past and Present", CWA Kingscote
FAITH, HOPE AND CHARITY ARE ISLAND LANDMARKS
Faith, Hope, and Charity are, of course, always associated, but the trio of words has another meaning for Kangaroo Island residents. Hope and Charity are the names of two old Kingscote houses with a history. There was once a third, but all that remains of Faith today are the foundations and four gum posts marking the site. It is believed that the houses received their unusual names from a man, named Samuel Childs. who went to Kangaroo Island to make experiments in tobacco growing. The three houses were erected about 1857 by the Calnan family, on section five in the Hundred of Menzies. which has since been subdivided into township allotments, and renamed Kingscote West. They were built exactly in line, and every detail of their construction was the same. More than 50 years ago the Calnans vacated the dwellings, and the shingles roofs became badly in need of repair. Then, in 1897, a Mr. John Shegog and his family arrived from Geelong, and leased the property on which the houses were built. He decided to re-roof Faith and Hope with galvanised iron. Mr. Shegog and his family lived in them for three years, when they returned to Victoria. Once again the homes became vacant until they were occupied by Messrs. Thomas, Northcott, and Woolman. In 1917 the houses were submitted to auction, and Faith and Hope were sold to Mr. C. J. Bell. Mr. Edward Burgess bought Charity.
AS Mr. Bell had previously purchased the Calnan family's estate known as Lockwood Farm, and needed material for implements and sheds, he removed the timber and iron from Faith for that purpose. All that remained of Faith was the chimneys and bare walls. At this stage Messrs, Bell and Burgess decided to sell, and Mr. William Howard, of Penneshaw, K.I., purchased the three historical buildings. Mr. Howard lived in Hope for a time before he sold the house to Mr. Arthur Daw. The walls of Faith were badly cracked, and had to be taken down. The stove was used for improvements to Hope, and now all that remains of Faith are the foundations and four large gum posts erected at each corner to mark the site. Mr. Arthur Daw and his family occupied Hope for a while, and Charity was sold to Mrs. Daw's sister — Mrs. Mitchell, sixth daughter of the late Charles Calnan — who had it renovated. In turn. Mrs. Mitchell presented the house to her sister— the late Mrs. J. H. Carter. After making further improvements to Hope, Mr. Daw leased it to a returned soldier, Mr. J. H. Komoll, who still lives in the house today.FAITH, HOPE AND CHARITY ARE ISLAND LANDMARKS (1938, October 8). The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954), p. 1 (Magazine Section.). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54819499 (with images)