For sources and more details, click here
Descendants of :
see also Cyclopedia of SA biography
1. John DEWAR was born 1853 in Edinburgh, Scotland and died 03 Jul 1930 in Norwood, SA. He married Frances JENKINS 26 Mar 1878 in Port MacDonnell, SA. She was born 1857 in Portland, Victoria and died 21 Feb 1953 in Norwood, SA, daughter of John JENKINS.
Other events in the life of John DEWAR
Burial: in Payneham Cemetery, SA
Immigration: 1860 in British Trident, landing in Victoria,
Children of John DEWAR and Frances JENKINS:
i. 2. William John DEWAR was born 21 Aug 1878 in Port MacDonnell, SA and died 19 Jul 1946 in Queensland
ii. Albert George DEWAR was born 30 Mar 1880 in Millicent, SA and died 28 Jul 1967 in Toorak Gardens, SA
iii. 3. John Robert Ferguson DEWAR was born 15 Sep 1883 in Millicent, SA and died 20 Jun 1968 in Glenelg South, SA
iv. 4. Archibald Thomas DEWAR was born 02 Feb 1886 in Millicent, SA and died 14 Apr 1970 in North Adelaide, SA
v. 5. Harry Claude DEWAR was born 20 Dec 1889 in Rendelsham, SA and died 30 Mar 1955 in North Adelaide, SA
vi. Isabella Frances Mary DEWAR was born 02 Dec 1893 in Rendelsham, SA
2. William John DEWAR was born 21 Aug 1878 in Port MacDonnell, SA and died 19 Jul 1946 in Queensland. He married Mary Louise PORTER 16 Mar 1910 in Adelaide, SA.
Children of William John DEWAR and Mary Louise PORTER:
i. 6. Elizabeth Ferguson (Betty) DEWAR was born 30 Sep 1910 in North Adelaide, SA and died 05 Aug 1974 in NSW
3. John Robert Ferguson DEWAR was born 15 Sep 1883 in Millicent, SA and died 20 Jun 1968 in Glenelg South, SA. He married Doris Emma JAMES 16 Oct 1915 in Adelaide, SA. She was born 15 Apr 1891 in Kapunda, SA and died 04 Jul 1955 in Norwood, SA, daughter of Joseph JAMES.
Other events in the life of John Robert Ferguson DEWAR
Military: in 10783 Divisional Signal Company 3
4. Archibald Thomas DEWAR was born 02 Feb 1886 in Millicent, SA and died 14 Apr 1970 in North Adelaide, SA. He married Clarinda Elizabeth BLAIKIE 04 Oct 1909 in North Adelaide, SA. She was born 26 Apr 1885 in Picadilly, SA, daughter of James BLAIKIE and Elizabeth PRINGLE. He married Dorothy CHUDLEIGH 04 Oct 1924 in Adelaide, SA.
5. Harry Claude DEWAR was born 20 Dec 1889 in Rendelsham, SA and died 30 Mar 1955 in North Adelaide, SA. He married Doris May HOTTEN 20 Dec 1919 in Henley Beach South, SA. She was born 27 Apr 1892 in Norwood, SA and died 24 Sep 1974, daughter of Alice Lawry HOTTEN.
Other events in the life of Harry Claude DEWAR
Military: in 1837 AIF SIG22.12.2R7.S4
Political: 1928 in Councillor Seacliffe Ward, Brighton Council
6. Elizabeth Ferguson (Betty) DEWAR was born 30 Sep 1910 in North Adelaide, SA and died 05 Aug 1974 in NSW. She married Bazel Henry Louis GREY 1939 in Queensland. He was born ABT 1908 and died 04 Dec 1973 in NSW.
Last Updated 13 April 2019
JOHN DEWAR, J.P., agriculturist and grazier, "Birchmoor Lagoon," Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, is the eldest son of the late Mr. William Dewar, of Victoria, formerly of the Highlands of Scotland, and was born at Edinburgh in 1853. He sailed for Australia with his parents in 1858 by the "British Trident," landing in Victoria, and settled at Portland, where he received his primary education, his studies being completed at Casterton, where the family subsequently engaged in pastoral pursuits.
At sixteen years of age he was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade, and after concluding his term of five years removed to Mount Gambier, South Australia, where he followed the calling of a journeyman with Mr. Samuel Barrett, of that town, for three years. The two succeeding years were spent at MacDonnell Bay, and, after a similar period in a subordinate position at Millicent, Mr. Dewar decided to start operations on his own behalf in that town.
Having established himself, he carried on successfully as a blacksmith for seven years, then, selling out to Oberlander & Lane, entered the agricultural and grazing industry, purchasing property in the neighbourhood of Millicent. Sixteen years later, having met with encouraging success, he sold his estate, and invested in township allotments, being at the present time owner of the property upon which the large store is situated, in which Mr. J. B. Mitchell carries on business at Millicent.
Retiring from active commercial pursuits, Mr. Dewar removed to Rokeby Avenue, Norwood, where he owns a fine residence, and lived privately for about twelve months. At the end of this time, reports of Kangaroo Island tempted him to take the trip across the water to acquaint himself with the character of the place. Although not favourably impressed in the first instance, eventually, when offered a property, consisting of sixty-seven square miles of pastoral lease country, he determined to test its value, and took over the lease. Later on he offered it to the Government, who accepted it, Mr. Dewar retaining, for a small consideration, an interest of about 7,500 acres. This country is situated in the Hundred of McGillivray, and the whole of it has since been taken up by settlers.
In addition to his portion, Mr. Dewar has lately purchased 900 acres of fine grazing land on the island, and by careful management has considerably enhanced the value of his property. He interests himself in all local matters, and is highly respected, having held a commission of Justice of the Peace for about ten years.
In 1877 he married Frances, second daughter of Mr. John Jenkins, of Port MacDonnell, and has a family of five sons and one daughter. Messrs. William J. and Albert G. Dewar assist their father in the working of his estates, and the remaining sons are engaged in commercial pursuits in Adelaide.- Cyclopedia of South Australia, 1909, p. 1006
The death occurred at Norwood on Thursday, July 3rd, at the age of 78 years, of Mr John Dewar J.P., who for about thirty years carried on farming and grazing pursuits in the Kingscote district. The late Mr Dewar was the eldest son of tbe late William Dewar of Casterton Victoria.
He was bom in Edinburgh Scotland, and came to Australia with his parents in 1858, landing in Victoria. His first home was at Portland and from there the family moved to Casterton where the late Mr Dewar received his education and was ap prenticed to the blacksmithing trade. At the end of his apprenticeship he worked as a young man at his trade at Mt. Gambler and Port MacDonnell, and then started in business for himself at Millicent. Selling out he took up land for grazing purposes and after carrying on successfully in his line of business for several years, disposed of his property and went to Adelaide to reside where he built a fine residence at Rokeby Avenue Norwood. Preferring an active life the late Mr Dewar took up land in this district about 1901, known as Birchmore. After disposing of that property be took over the property belonging to W. H. Hamilton jnr. near Kingscote and also bought land near the Cygnet River opposite to Sunnyside. A couple of years ago he decided to retire, and leased bis property. During his residence on K.I. the late Mr Dewar took an active part in advancing the interests of the Island. We understand that it was largely through his efforts that a branch of the Union Bank was opened at Kingscote. During his residence in the South East he married Frances, the second daughter of Mr J. Jenkins of Pt. MacDonnell and there is a family of five sons and one daughter.OBITUARY. (1930, July 12). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191545842
Photo: Linnett Tourism brochure, c.1910, courtesy Anne O'Herran