Descendants of :
for sources and more details click here
1. Robert WHEATON was born 30 Jan 1886 in Collinsfield, SA and died 21 Aug 1974. He was the son of Frederick WHEATON and Mary Agnes TOWNSEND. He married Mary Matilda HOWARD 27 Jan 1910 in Hog Bay, Kangaroo Island, SA. She was born 22 Oct 1884 in Cuttle Fish, Kangaroo Island, SA and died 11 Sep 1987 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA, daughter of William HOWARD and Janet BARR.
Other events in the life of Robert WHEATON
Burial: in Kingscote Cemetery, Kangaroo Island, SA
Residence: 1910 in Kangaroo Island, SA
Description: BET 1912 & 1947 in Councillor, Kingscote Council
Electoral roll: BET 1939 & 1943 in White Lagoon, Kangaroo Island
Title: 1958 in Order of the British Empire
Children of Robert WHEATON and Mary Matilda HOWARD:
i. Frederick Howard WHEATON was born 26 Jul 1912 in White Lagoon, Kangaroo Island and died 12 Oct 1941 in Tobruk, North Africa
ii. 2. Thelma WHEATON was born 05 Jan 1914 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island
iii. 3. Eric Lancelot (Jack) WHEATON was born 24 Jun 1916 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island and died 18 Jun 1992
iv. 4. Douglas Robert WHEATON was born 30 Sep 1918 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island and died 24 Apr 2004 in Adelaide, SA
v. 5. Barbara Joan WHEATON was born 21 Dec 1921 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island
2. Thelma WHEATON was born 05 Jan 1914 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island. She married Albert Richard JONES 01 May 1939. He was born 06 Mar 1911 in Adelaide, SA and died 20 Apr 1996.
Children of Thelma WHEATON and Albert Richard JONES:
i. Trevor Robert JONES. He married Judith McDonald REHN.
ii. Helen Ruth JONES. She married Geoffrey Ross HARVEY.
iii. David Wheaton JONES. He married Pamela Jill BROGDEN.
iv. Dianne Margaret JONES
3. Eric Lancelot (Jack) WHEATON was born 24 Jun 1916 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island and died 18 Jun 1992. He married Joan NORMAN 12 Sep 1940. She was born 14 Jun 1918 in Queenstown, SA and died 29 Aug 1942 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island, daughter of Henry John Alfred NORMAN. He married Rita May DUNN 16 May 1944 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA. She was born 24 Jan 1925 in Streaky Bay, SA and died 12 Apr 2017 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA, daughter of Frederick John DUNN and Gertrude PENNA.
Other events in the life of Eric Lancelot (Jack) WHEATON
Burial: in Kingscote Cemetery, Kangaroo Island, SA
Electoral roll: BET 1939 & 1943 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island
Children of Eric Lancelot (Jack) WHEATON and Joan NORMAN:
i. 9. Heather Margaret WHEATON was born 18 Jun 1942 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA and died 19 Feb 2015
Children of Eric Lancelot (Jack) WHEATON and Rita May DUNN:
ii. Linda Carol WHEATON was born ... in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA. She married Douglas Leslie WERNER.
iii. Barry Eric WHEATON was born ... in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA. He married Penelope Robin SMITH.
4. Douglas Robert WHEATON was born 30 Sep 1918 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island and died 24 Apr 2004 in Adelaide, SA. He married Blanche Victoria TIGGEMANN 06 Oct 1943 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA. She was born 21 Sep 1922 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA and died 14 Aug 1986, daughter of August Adolf TIGGEMANN and Mary Jane Adelaide NORTHCOTT. He married Edna Joyce (Joy) STORY. She was born 13 Sep 1923 in Cowell, SA.
Children of Douglas Robert WHEATON and Blanche Victoria TIGGEMANN:
i. Janice "Fay" WHEATON. She married John LORD.
ii. Rosemary Ann WHEATON. She married Trevor Alvert WILlMOTT.
iii. Bruce Robert WHEATON. He married Ellen OAK.
iv. Graham Howard WHEATON was born ... in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA. He married Lynette Kay KRUGER
v. 16. Pamela Dawn WHEATON
5. Barbara Joan WHEATON was born 21 Dec 1921 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island. She married Melville Carl Sherriff (Meb) LEOPOLD. He was born 25 Jan 1913 in Hd of O`Loughlin, SA and died 30 Feb 1969 in Renmark, SA, son of Percival LEOPOLD and Jane PRICE. She married Priestly James HILLAM.
Other events in the life of Barbara Joan WHEATON
Electoral roll: 1941 in MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island
Children of Barbara Joan WHEATON and Melville Carl Sherriff (Meb) LEOPOLD:
i. Kaylene Mary LEOPOLD. She married Bernard Francis MYERS.
ii. Joan Madolin LEOPOLD. She married Marl CLANCY. She married Henry William MOM.
iii. Meredith Anne LEOPOLD
iv. Barbara Jabe LEOPOLD. She married Andrew HARLOW.
9. Heather Margaret WHEATON was born 18 Jun 1942 in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA and died 19 Feb 2015. She married Dean Murray BROWN. He was born ABT 1940 and died 22 Apr 2007.
16. Pamela Dawn WHEATON was born ... She married Jonathan Kym BOXER 11 Jan 1969. He was born ... in Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA, son of Albert John (Jack) BOXER and Bessie Helene BELL.
last updated 14 April 2019
Civic Register 1936
See also Wheatons Mark 100 Years on K.I. - The Stock Journal, 4 Jan 2014
See also Joy Wheaton AOM - The Islander 5 Feb 2015
Robert Wheaton, O.B.E., (1886-1974) was a Councillor [of Kingscote Council] for a total of twenty-seven years spanning the period 1912-1947, ans was elected Chairman four times - (1921-23, 1926-1934, 1939-1941, and 1946-47). Mr. Wheaton, a farmer who lived some 30 kilometers from Kingscote, has possibly the best claim of any person to the title 'Father of Kingscote Council'. He was involved in almost all civic activities, and his term of office extended from the relatively quiet days of 1912, through part of the first World War, to the busy years of 1939-47, with the second World War and the subsequent dramatic growth in Council responsibility. He was made an O.B.E. in 1958. - Civic Record, p.263
Robert Wheaton, O.B.E., J.P., D.D.A. Born Redhill, S.A., 1887 [sic]
The number of farmer's sons who attended R.A.C. in the early decades of this century were very limited. Robert Wheaton was one; born and reared on his father's farm in the wheat growing district of Redhill in the north of S. A. His predecessors were English farmers, of no mean calibre, and today many of his relatives are prominent agriculturists in Britain. Bob won a scholarship to Roseworthy in 1903, gained his diploma in 1906 and has spent his life on the land at MacGillivray on K.I. since 1908.
Learning and adopting the best early known methods of scrub clearing, he was the first to apply scientific knowleclge gained at Roseworthy, to the Island and to apply subsequent findings of agricultural scientists. He was the first to grow and graze turnips, the Appila strain to Wimmera Rye, showing the way to other settlers. His pioneering work was greatly appreciated by the late W. J. Shafford, and further to this his general influence in the community resulted in his appointment by the Queen in June, 1958, to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
His record reads: First elected a member of the Kingscote District Council in 1913, served for 26 years, 12 as Chairman. He was Chairman of a committee elected to raise money for the nursing home at Kingscote when there were no such facilities. When the money was raised and the home built, he continued as Chairman of management for 11 years.
Notable Old Collegian Mr. Wheaton was secretary of the Methodist Church Trust for over 30 years and circuit steward. He was a foundation member and first Chairman of the MacGillivray branch of the Agric. Bureau in 1911 and in 1932 appointed a life member. He was elected Chairman of the Bowling Club committee and supervised the laying down of rinks and the building of the clubhouse. He has been a J.P. for over 30 years.
In any work he has been ably supported by his wife and as a farmer found time to assist his neighbours with any problems. At the time of the citation, he was just coasting, being on the Church Trust, the Soldiers' Memorial Park Committee, the Bowling Club committee and actively interested in the MacGillivray Football and Cricket Club for which naturally he helped clear the land and set out an oval and pitch. It appears that the only time he spent resting was travelling to and from meetings or chairing one.
So far as the College and the Old Collegians Association is concerned, he has been a consistant quiet supporter for their welfare and a regular attendant at Re-Union. He sent two of his three sons to Roseworthy to gain Diplomas. Fredrick Howard Wheaton gained his Diploma in 1931 after two years, but gave his life in Tobruk. Eric Wheaton, 1934-37, DipIoma, is now farming in the Hundred of Haines on K.IThe Student, Agricultural College ROSEWORTHY. SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Kingscote Cemetery, Kangaroo Island. WHEATON, Robert (O.B.E.), died 21 August 1974, aged 88 years (with Mary)http://www.ozburials.com/CemsSA/kingscote.htm
1910 'Kiowie', Kangaroo Island, South Australia, Australia 1911 'Stranraer', MacGillivray, Kangaroo Island, South Australia, Australia 1941 MacGillivray, South Australia, Australia 1950 Kingscote, South Australia, Australia('The WHEATONs who came out of Hydon' by Rylda WHEATON)