For sources and more details, click here
Descendants of :
Robert Frazer (Old Rob) RUSSELL
1. Robert Frazer (Old Rob) RUSSELL was born ABT 1807 in Scotland and died 24 Dec 1891 in Queenstown, SA. He married Elizabeth HISLOP 02 Sep 1839 in SA. She was born ABT 1816 and died 21 Jul 1891 in Alberton, SA.
Other events in the life of Robert Frazer (Old Rob) RUSSELL
Burial: in Cheltenham Cemetery, SA
Memorial: dedicated 2 June 2019, Cheltenham Cemetery, cnr Road B, Path 17.
Immigration: 27 Jul 1836 in Duke of York
Children of Robert Frazer (Old Rob) RUSSELL and Elizabeth HISLOP:
i. 2. John George (Jack) RUSSELL was born 1840 in Adelaide, SA and died 01 Dec 1911 in Adelaide, SA
ii. Ebenezer Hislop RUSSELL was born ABT 1842 and died 24 Apr 1846 in Albert Town, SA
iii. 3. Thomas Hislop RUSSELL was born ABT 1844 and died 22 Apr 1917 in Yatala, SA
iv. Robert Jordan RUSSELL was born ABT 1845 and died 26 Jun 1922 in Portland estate, SA
v. Eliza RUSSELL was born 17 Apr 1852 in Albert Town, SA and died 19 Jun 1854
vi. Margaret Hislop RUSSELL was born 18 May 1854 in Adelaide, SA
vii. 4. Helen RUSSELL was born 05 Oct 1855 in Alberton, SA and died 27 Jul 1942 in 9 Rowlands Road, Magill, SA
viii. 5. William Simpson RUSSELL was born ABT 1861 and died ABT 1899 in WA?
2. John George (Jack) RUSSELL was born 1840 in Adelaide, SA and died 01 Dec 1911 in Adelaide, SA. He married Susannah CARRINGTON 11 Jun 1877 in North Adelaide, SA. She was born ABT 1854 and died 13 Jun 1879 in Adelaide, SA, daughter of William CARRINGTON.
Other events in the life of John George (Jack) RUSSELL
Burial: in Cheltenham Cemetery, SA
3. Thomas Hislop RUSSELL was born ABT 1844 and died 22 Apr 1917 in Yatala, SA. He married Susanna KEMP 13 Sep 1875 in Hindmarsh SA. She was born ABT 1851 and died 26 Sep 1933 in Adelaide, SA, daughter of George KEMP.
Children of Thomas Hislop RUSSELL and Susanna KEMP:
i. 6. Arthur (Doad) RUSSELL was born 14 Jul 1877 in Alberton, SA and died 19 Jan 1957 in Adelaide, SA
ii. 7. Maud RUSSELL was born 31 Mar 1880 in Yatala, SA and died 22 Mar 1925 in Adelaide, SA
iii. 8. Edith Ruby RUSSELL was born 31 Dec 1884 in Yatala, SA and died 10 Jul 1956 in Ethelton, SA
iv. 9. Alma Minnie RUSSELL was born 11 Dec 1888 in Yatala, SA and died 1979 in Perth, WA
4. Helen RUSSELL was born 05 Oct 1855 in Alberton, SA and died 27 Jul 1942 in 9 Rowlands Road, Magill, SA. She married James O'DONNELL 29 Oct 1877 in Streaky Bay, SA. He was born ABT 1847 in Claire, Ireland and died 11 Jan 1930 in Portland, SA, son of John O'DONNELL.
Other events in the life of Helen RUSSELL
Burial: in Cheltenham Cemetery, SA
Children of Helen RUSSELL and James O'DONNELL:
i. 10. Jim Wilfred Len O'DONNELL
5. William Simpson RUSSELL was born ABT 1861 and died ABT 1899 in WA?. He married Bathia Louisa Christina WHITEMAN 28 Feb 1884 in Hindmarsh, SA. She was born 19 Jul 1865 in Lyndoch, SA and died 1943 in Adelaide, SA, daughter of Leonard WHITEMAN and Anna OERTEL.
Children of William Simpson RUSSELL and Bathia Louisa Christina WHITEMAN:
i. 11. Ada Anna Emily RUSSELL was born 14 Dec 1884 in Bowden, SA and died 10 May 1975
ii. Leonard William Oertle RUSSELL was born 08 Nov 1887 in Hindmarsh, SA and died 08 Jun 1946 in Perth, WA
iii. William Harold RUSSELL was born 06 Nov 1892 in Port Pirie, SA and died 01 Oct 1977 in Rivervale, WA
iv. 12. Evangeline Matilda RUSSELL was born 06 Jun 1895 in Rosewater, SA
6. Arthur (Doad) RUSSELL was born 14 Jul 1877 in Alberton, SA and died 19 Jan 1957 in Adelaide, SA. He married Clara Christina Caroline BLACK 20 Dec 1906 in Brompton, SA. She was born 19 Jan 1876 in Friedrickswalde, SA and died 28 Jul 1936 in Belair, SA, daughter of John Henry BLACK and Emma Clara FISCHER.
Other events in the life of Arthur (Doad) RUSSELL
Burial: in Cheltenham Cemetery
7. Maud RUSSELL was born 31 Mar 1880 in Yatala, SA and died 22 Mar 1925 in Adelaide, SA. She married Peter CEGLAR 20 Dec 1924 in Adelaide, SA. He was born ABT 1886 and died 25 Sep 1935 in Goolwa, SA.
8. Edith Ruby RUSSELL was born 31 Dec 1884 in Yatala, SA and died 10 Jul 1956 in Ethelton, SA. She married William Henry HARTLAND 17 Jul 1905 in Port Adelaide, SA. He was born 29 Jan 1885 in Port Adelaide, SA. She married Charles JESSOP 31 Aug 1923 in Adelaide, SA. He was born ABT 1884 and died 08 Apr 1936 in Adelaide, SA.
9. Alma Minnie RUSSELL was born 11 Dec 1888 in Yatala, SA and died 1979 in Perth, WA. She married Herbert Stanley SEMMENS 1910 in Northam, WA. He was born 22 Jul 1888 in Freeling, SA and died 1964 in Perth, WA.
10. Jim Wilfred Len O'DONNELL. He married Eileen Catherine Imelda CAVANAGH 16 Jun 1917 in Magill, SA. She died 03 Dec 1946 in 9 Rowland Road, Magill, SA.
11. Ada Anna Emily RUSSELL was born 14 Dec 1884 in Bowden, SA and died 10 May 1975. She married Walter KILPATRICK 1903 in Fremantle, WA.
12. Evangeline Matilda RUSSELL was born 06 Jun 1895 in Rosewater, SA. She married Archibald SHEPHERD 1915 in Fremantle, WA. He was born ABT 1889 and died 1956 in Fremantle, WA.
last updated 14 April 2019
Death of Mr. Robert Russell.
Mr. Robert Russell, a very old colonist, and quite a character, died on December 24 at Queenstown, at the age of eighty- five. "Old Rob Russell," as he was called by all who knew him, was a fine type of the man-of-warsman of half a century ago, hale and hearty. He left England for South Australia as second mate of the Duke of York, and arrived at Kangaroo Island on July 27, 1836. Speaking some time back of his early experiences he said —
"When the vessel anchored all the passengers were very anxious to get ashore. Each was eager to have the honour of being the first to set foot in the new country, but there was a baby girl on board (Mrs. Beare's), and the captain said — 'This child shall be the first to land.' He called to me in the foretop, and told me to take a boat and crew and see that the child's feet were the first to touch the shore. Of course we sailors liked the idea, and when we got near the shore I told the men to hang on tho oars, and wading ashore I put the little baby feet on the strand. That baby is married now.[Elizabeth Beare died of burns aged 12 on 9 Jan 1846]. The captain and a boat's crew got lost in the scrub some days after this, aud when they got back to the beach they were pretty well done up and frightened. They were kneeling down at prayer when a white man came up— a run away convict and suspect— and seeing them down on their knees he drops down and prays too.
" After leaving Nepean Bay Russell went to Hobart Town on a whaling cruise, and thence to the South Seas on a similar expedition. On making back to New Holland— the name by which Australia was then called— he was wrecked on a reef near Keppel Island. Russell and some of his companions reached the island, and afterwards made for Sydney in the boat. On the voyage they lost two hands at Moreton Bay— one a Rotuma lad and the other a white man. These were killed by natives. Russell and his mates were rescued by a steamer, and a local party manned by convicts went in search of the two victims of the natives. They secured two of' the murderers, whom they handcuffed and chained to a ring bolt in tho boat, but the blacks slipped their hands through the gyves and got away.
We next find Russell in the vessel Lady Wellington, which broke her back on a voyage to South Australia. After voyaging to New Zealand this old salt returned to this colony and went on survey service with Captain (afterwards Admiral) Pullen. The deceased sailor knew Colonel Light well when he was surveying the Port-road. The old man-of-warsman was a policeman once for six weeks "to oblige a friend," as he said. Russell lived for many years in Queenstown, where he was well known, and regarded as one of the identities of the place. His aged wife died only a few months ago, and the old man said, handing a photo to a friend, '"Take this ; I shan't live long now, as poor old mother is gone !"OBITUARY. (1892, January 5). South Australian Register(Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), p. 3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48223704
Second mate Duke of York
Reared 2 sons and 3 daughters?Heinrich, D. "The Man Who Hunted Whales" p.206
See interviewTHE INFANCY OF SOUTH AUSTRALIAN SETTLEMENT. (1886, July 27). South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), , p. 6. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44579008
Reported to have attended the banquet given by Mr. E. Solomon at Adelaide Town Hall on December 28, 1871, for all colonists who arrived before 1841.Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), Thursday 17 November 1910, page 9 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5210571
Robert Fraser and his wife Elizabeth Russell are buried at Cheltenham Cemetery in section D, driveway B, path 17, site 164S. This site was purchased in 1891 by John Russell and the grant expired in 1990. [reclaimed 1994] No headstone to the Russell family exists on the site. Also buried in the 3 site family plot were John Russell in 1911, Robert Russell in 1922, James O’Donnell in 1930 and Helen O’Donnell in 1942. - Sharon Howells
On 2 June 2019, the descendants of Robert Russell unveiled a commemorative memorial for him near the family plot at Cheltenham Cemetery.