Prior to 1836
A comprehensive collection of articles on the extraordinary history of Kangaroo Island, prior to 1836
See also articles available on the Useful Links page.
- The Mysteries of Karta (alias Kangaroo Island): Creation, Colonisers and Crusoes, Gordon Copland, 2002
- Was Kangaroo Island Ever Populated? - it wasn't until 1901 that scientists started to understand the prior existence of aborigines
- Extracts from the diary of Nicolas Baudin 1802-1803
- Extracts from the diary of Matthew Flinders 1802
- Encounter 1802-2002 Celebrating Flinders' and Baudin's expeditions in search of the "unknown" southern coast of Australia
- Abyssinian Jack John Anderson
- Europeans on Kangaroo Island pre-1836 - Diane Cummings
- Captain Sutherland's appraisal of Kangaroo Island from his seven month visit in 1819. Was he wearing rose-coloured glasses? This what he wrote in 1831.
- On Kangaroo Island and Runaways in the Straits. Newspaper account 10 June 1826
- The murder of George Meredith. Newspaper account 24 Sep 1844.