Kingscote Methodist Church
New Methodist Church.
CONCERTS, CELEBRATION CEREMONY AND DINNER.
At a recent meeting of the trustees of the Kingscote Methodist Church tenders were dealt with in connection with the erection of the new building near the site of the old one, Murray street, the successful tenderers being Messrs Emery and Sons. The laying of the foundation stone will be celebrated in various ways. On Saturday evening, November 9th., a grand concert will be given in the Council Hall. On Monday (Sports Day) the foundation stone will be laid (possibly by Sir Frederick Holder) at 11 am sharp. Dinner will be provided in the Council Hall at 12.30 a.m., and a grand concert will follow in the evening. The secretary (Mr G. W. Davidge) notifies elsewhere that the functions of the stone-laying are being held early to give the sports committee a fair show, and expresses the hope that all who can will attend sports as well as concert.New Methodist Church. (1907, November 2). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 5. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191631683
HISTORY OF ITS DEVELOPMENT.Following is the history of the progress of the Kingscote Methodist Church, as read by Mr J. Davidge at the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the new church on Monday, November 11, and placed in a bottle along with a copy of the "Australian Christian Commonwealth" and first issue of the Kangaroo Island Courier.
The small church adjacent was originally erected at Cygnet River, on land presented to the Methodist Conference by the late Mr Thomas Northcote, during the pastorate of Mr Bennett in the year 1885 and cost in erection about £37. The following were the Cygnet River trustees : — Mr Bennett (Pastor) and Messrs Matthew Hart, George Dunkley, Thomas Northcote, Charles W. Northcote and Thomas Williams.
Eleven years afterwards (1896) Kingscote showing signs of advancement, the church was removed to its present site at a cost of about £8. Shortly after the church was brought to Kingscote the township went back and the Wesleyan Conference were unable to sustain the cause. For some years the church was closed, and not re-opened till 1935, when the Conference appointed Mr. J. M. Gabb to take charge of the Kangaroo Island Mission. Mr Gabb worked indefatigably, and good work was done.
He was followed by Mr Clatworthy and he in turn by our present earnest worker (Mr. T. Ray Caust). [b.1881-d.1909]. Under the able administration of these missionaries the cause has grown, so much so that during the winter months many have been turned away for lack of accommodation, and it was seen that a larger building was absolutely necessary. Energetically the matter was taken up, a new trusteeship formed, plans and specifications were prepared by Rev. Mr White, and tenders were invited, the successful tenderers being Messrs Emery & Sons, Kingscote. The building is to be 45 feet long and 28 feet wide, and to be built on site of the present structure. The trustees of the old Kingscote were Mr Hunter (Pastor) and Messrs Arthur Frost, William Cassidy, John Maley, George Dunkley and Matthew Hart. 'The newly elected trustees are Mr. T. Ray Caust (Pastor), and Messrs Edward Potter, Herbert Wright, G. I. Buick, Herbert Hemer, Harold Hemer, John Emery, John E. Emery, Gerald W. Davidge, and James Davidge.
A church properly constituted has been recently formed of 17 members and a Bible Class in flourishing condition under the presidency of Mr Caust, with Mr J. Emery as assistant. The Methodist Conference are in possession of blocks of land for church works as follows:—1 half acre block at Cygnet River, presented by Mr. T Northcote, 2 at Kingscote, township blocks Nos. 91 and 92, excellent sites, each measuring 90 x 175 feet (on one the new church is being erected), and a half acre block two miles outside the township, presented by Mr W. Jones, on which block it was proposed to build a church. A trust was formed for this purpose, called the Parachilla Trust, money was collected, but the scheme fell through and the money divided between the Cygnet River and Hog Bay church. This Trust consisted of Mr Gange (Pastor), John Wickham Daw, Arthur W. Daw, John Maley William Jones, and Arthur Frost.Kingscote Methodist Church. (1907, November 23). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191637585See also Kingscote Methodist Church Forward Movement. (1907, November 16). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191640278See also New Methodist Church. (1907, November 2). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 5. from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191631683
PERSONAL.—The Rev. T. Geddes White, who is the architect to the new Methodist Church, is visiting Kingscote for a few days and is in-specting the work in progress. He reports favorably on its construction up to the present time.THE KANGAROO ISLAND COURIER. (1907, December 14). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191637279
The first Methodist worship in South Australia was held before the colony was proclaimed. It was led by Samuel East, a Wesleyan local preacher, on Kangaroo Island on 13 November 1836.- David Hilliard , Methodism in Early South Australia and its Impact on the Young Colony Address given to the Pioneers Association of South Australia, 4 August 2016
Associated with Samuel East in Christian work on Kangaroo Island was John Boots [c.1810-1875] [wife Charlotte nee CATT]. Many years ago I read the life of the Rev. Thomas Collins, in his day a noted Methodist preacher. In that life there is a reference to John Boots; little did I think at that time that I should meet him again in the early history of South Australia. He came to Kangaroo Island by the Coromandel, in 1837, bringing his English credentials, as a local preacher, with him. Removing from the island, he took up his residence near Tapley's Hill, opened his house for religious services, ministering himself where opportunity offered. - Rev. John Blacket.THE METHODIST CHURCH. (1924, February 23). The Register (Adelaide, SA : 1901 - 1929), p. 6. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57464560
The Rev. J. Shaw (who has been in charge of the K.I. Methodist Church for some time past) will leave for new fields next week and his im pending departure is regretted by many. The Rev Prior succeeds.VALEDICTORY. (1909, April 10). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191634227
Mr J. C. Oliver, of Alawoona, who succeeds to the oharge of the Methodist Church on the Island, arrived at Kingscote on Wednesday last.PERSONAL. (1918, April 20). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article189506348
Mr J. C. Oliver, who has been in charge of the Methodist Church on Kangaroo Island for the past ten months, was tendered a farewell sooial at Carnarvon House on Monday evening last, prior to his departure from the district to enter the Brighton Training College ...VALEDICTORY. (1919, February 15). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191548844
After a short sojourn on K.I. in charge of the Methodist Mission, Mr H. Curtis left a few weeks ago to take up duties elsewhere. ... Mr J. Palmar has been ap pointed to take up the work.VALEDICTORY. (1922, November 25). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191548318
Lindsay Isaac CARTHEW (1905-1990) with his wife, Sister Margaret nee PRIDHAM headed the Kangaroo Island Methodist Mission in 1933. He was farewelled in 1934 but was still officiating in 1943.Advertising (1933, March 25). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191251798SOCIAL EVENING. (1934, April 14). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191248730
DELAHANTY, [DELEHANTY] James, missionary, called home July 8, 1920, aged 66; 50 years a preacher of the gospel.
- Kingscote Cemetery
The first in a series of four articles about the Kingscote Uniting Church, celebrating on Sunday November 5 2017, the 110th anniversary of the laying of its foundation stone.The Islander, 11 Oct 2017, http://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/4980399/110-years-of-the-church/?cs=1903
The official opening of the Church. Inset: Church members Joy Wheaton, whose husband Ivor was Missioner (1944-46) and Jill Clarke, descendant of builders Jim, Edward and Will Potter. Photos: Supplied.
The Kingscote Church’s historical foundations stretch back to the arrival of the island’s first official European settlers when Captain Morgan, a devout Wesleyan, held a short service to give thanks for their safety.
Over the next 50 years the development of the Methodist Church followed the fluctuations of KI’s population.
In 1885 a church was erected at Cygnet River. Local preachers and single men supplied through Methodist Home Mission led services.
In 1896 the building was moved to Queenscliffe (Kingscote). However, when the township stalled, the Church closed. In 1905 when Mr Gabb was sent as Missioner the building was being used as a dwelling-house. Gabb did much of the physical work needed to get the Church ready for its reopening in May 1906.
After his departure Mr Clatworthy and then Reverend Caust came as leaders. As the congregation increased, the old Church became too small and it was decided to erect a new stone building. Reverend T White prepared plans, and Potters, local family builders undertook the building’s construction. It was designed in Gothic style to accommodate 200 people. Reverend Caust wrote 700 letters regarding the new Church and took a hands-on approach, as his diary records, ‘Got some men to go with me tonight to grub some stumps in the church block – tough work.’
The foundation stone was laid on November 11 1907 and in a spirit of enthusiasm flags were hoisted around the town. The building was officially opened on April 19 1908 by the SA President of the Methodist Church accompanied by visitors from Adelaide. Later the building was named Ray Caust Memorial Church in honour of the dedicated young Minister.
With no manse in Kingscote, early ministers lived in Penneshaw. Later the rear of the Church was partitioned off and provided basic accommodation. In 1937 a Manse was built next door. Joy Wheaton who lived there said they grew vegetables and kept chooks in the big backyard. When a new manse was purchased the old became a centre for various church and community activities.
With the formation of the Uniting Church in Australia in June 1977 the fellowship became Kingscote Uniting Church. While its name changed its mission to serve God while serving the people of KI continues. The Church invites the Community to join the celebrations on November 5. Contact Joan Cooper 0434145101 or Louise Davis 0417 862231 for more information.
Kingscote Uniting Church, Kangaroo Island, is celebrating its 110th anniversary on November 5.
Early days: Laying the Church foundation stone, 1907. Photo: from The Islander
If the people clustered around the foundation stone of the then Methodist Church could look 110 years ahead they would have been amazed at the changes to Kangaroo Island and their Church during that time. The Church previously surrounded by bush, now sits on a busy corner opposite the medical centre, pharmacy and ambulance. People wear jeans and polar fleece instead of long skirts and straw boaters. Electricity has replaced acetylene gas lighting. Ministers no longer bicycle across the island visiting parishioners nor camp out in the Church’s vestry. Men and women serve equally in Church leadership, with Louise Davis the current pastor. Children are encouraged to participate in Church services rather than remain silent. Technology enhances preaching, teaching and communication. While aspects of Church life have changed, members haven’t changed in their desire to serve God and assist people to find meaning and purpose, acceptance, encouragement and companionship. The Church holds weekly Sunday services and is open for prayer each Tuesday 10am–1pm. On Wednesday December 13 a special service will be held for people who find Christmas painful because they’re separated from loved ones whether due to death, distance, or other circumstances. For those seeking friendship, men’s and women’s breakfast groups are held monthly on Saturday mornings and are open to any who would like to share a leisurely breakfast while listening to a guest speaker. ‘Open Door’ in the Church hall on Tuesdays 1–3pm operates as a drop-in centre for those wishing to browse the library, have a cuppa or stay for a chat. Women’s Fellowship meets over afternoon tea on the third Wednesday each month and undertakes outings and activities. Polar fleece and jeans may go the way of long skirts and boaters, but the Church’s desire to serve God and serve the community will never date! The need for a permanent Church building was evident in 1907, but the Uniting Church today seeks to move outside of the building into the community. One way it seeks to build connections is by hosting a monthly free community barbecue in Bernie Davis Park at Sunday lunchtime. As the Church building enters its next decade, members continue to explore new ways of being ‘Church’ on KI.https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5027264/looking-back-and-forward/
On Sunday November 5 , 120 people celebrated the 110th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the Kingscote Uniting Church. The Church was packed with people of all ages who enjoyed the colour, music, reminiscences and humour of the service. Young hosts Oscar and Sam interviewed Church members about their past and present experiences.The kid’s choir had fun assembling the ‘body’, and Pastor Louise Davis provided a stimulating and challenging message on the future Church.After the service, the glorious spring day encouraged people to sit outside. The intoxicating smells from the BBQ whetted appetites for the delicious lunch to follow. Dianne Hoffman’s cake rendered the Church’s history in a masterpiece of chocolate and cream! It was ceremonially cut by the youngest and oldest members present. Louise then thanked all those who, under the leadership of Joan Cooper, had contributed to the success of the day.Here’s to the next 110 years of Church community and worship.https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5073207/ki-church-celebrations/
Penneshaw Methodist Church est 1883
Kangaroo Island's first Church to celebrate its Jubilee.
At the mention of "Jubilee" the mind instinctively peers into history of fifty years ago. This month the Penneshaw Methodist Church will review half a century of Christian Labour. Previous to the building of this place of worship, there was no church on the island, but Anglican services were conducted at irregular intervals by the late Archdeacon Morse of Yankalilla, who usually crossed Backstairs Passage in a sailing boat when weather permitted.
The Government teacher, (a Mr Trigg) conducted religious services on Sunday evening in the School room, the services consisting of singing Sankey's hymns and reading a Scripture lesson. Through the guidance of these meetings, two brothers, (James and Steve) of the Buick family, became intensely interested in the Work and on their return from a trip to Melbourne, the Government Schoolroom was engaged for regular Sunday meetings which they conducted.
The President of the Conference was communicated with, and a request made that a missionary be sent to the Island. Subsequently, at the request of the President, the Rev. John Watts of Yankalilla visited Penneshaw to arrange for a home for the missionary. Mr James Buick and his wife, who were both keenly desirous that a man be sent agreed to place one of their three rooms at his disposal.
Mr John Broadbent, a very earnest local preacher from Cherry Gardens, was appointed as Home Missionary. After several months successful work, he was instrumental in making arrangements for the building of the present Church at Penneshaw, (which was the first church to be erected on the Island), but owing to acute opthalmia he was unable to supervise its erection.
The Rev. W. A. Potts, having just arrived from England, was sent down to the Island to continue the work started by Mr Broadbent and after a few weeks witnessed the completion of the Church, which was opened free of debt in October, 1883. This was made possible mainly by Mr James Buick's generous contribution of £60, necessitating the postponement of the building on of two front rooms to his cottage, which he did not live to erect.
The Rev. W. A. Potts continued the work until the following April (1884), when he was appointed to a circuit on the mainland, being succeeded by the Rev. A. D. Bennett. The Penneshaw officials are fortunate indeed in having Mr Bennett return to the Island to conduct the 50th Anniversary Service. He will speak from wealth of experience at 1 1 a.m. and 7 p.m., on November 26th., in the Church and also at the Social gathering in the Institute on Saturday evening, the 25th.Kangaroo Island s first Church to celebrate its Jubilee. (1933, November 18). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191253607
A few weeks since a neat little chapel was erected by the Wesleyans and opened for divine worship, which at present is the only chapel on the Island. Hitherto service has occasionally been conducted in a small schoolroom, an original looking structure, erected by the Government, also used for a day school, at which an average attendance of seven or eight is registered whilst there are about 22 names on the roll.NOTES ON KANGAROO ISLAND. (1884, May 2). Yorke's Peninsula Advertiser (SA : 1878 - 1922), p. 3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article216318580
The Islanders have been favored with a visit from Rev J Young Simpson, secretary of the Wesleyan Conference, who preached three times on Sunday, 28th September, in the Wesleyan Church at Penneshaw. On the following day a public tea was held which was very largely attended. Some even coming from a distance of 18 or 20 miles. The spread would have done credit to the Moonta people, even though they take the pre-eminence for magnificent teas. After the tea the Rev J Young Simpson delivered his popular lecture on "Scotch Characteristics " the home missionary taking the chair. On the following Wednesday, the foundation stone of a Wesleyan Church was laid by Rev J Y Simpson at Cygnet River, 30 miles distant from Penneshaw, after which, a public tea was held, patronised by representatives from almost every part of the western side of the Island. Here let it be said that the spread surpassed anything that the writer has ever seen on the Peninsula—though held in a barn. In the evening the Rev Mr Simpson lectured on " Old fashioned gateways," to a very attentive and appreciative audience. For years prior to the Wesleyan denomination sending a representative to the island, the inhabitants were visited by an Anglican clergyman about twice or three times a year, but since the appearance of the Wesleyan missionary matters have taken quite a new turn, and the Anglicans have already commenced the erection of another place of worship—the first at Queencliffe being opened some time since —the present one being built at Penneshaw. Competition— not opposition— even in religious movements is better than an absolute absence of facilities for divine worship, although the erection of a second church at Penneshaw is premature at present.NOTES ON KANGAROO ISLAND. (1884, October 21). Yorke's Peninsula Advertiser (SA : 1878 - 1922), p. 3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article216320068
The following notes were prepared by Mr B. Bates of Penneshaw, for the Penneshaw Uniting Church Centenary in 1985. Notes from research by Jean Nunn.
Official evidence or records of the building of the Penneshaw Methodist (U.C.A.) Church have been lost but nevertheless there is evidence to show that the first service in the building was held in 1883. This service was conducted by the Rev. W. A. Potts.
The building of the church was greatly influenced by Mr James Buick who contributed financially and personally to the work, which included stopping work on his own home to contributing sixty guineas which he intnded using for enlargements to his own home. This sixty guineas plus the church funds enables immediate contruction.
At first ministers were given accommodation in private homes but later as two room extension to the church were added for the ministers, who at that times were all unmarried, lived there. Travelling to Kingscote and other parts of K.I. by ships, horse, push bike, and motor car.
The last minister to live there was Rev. F. A. Phillip in 1931. From then on the minister lived at kingscote, where a mase was built in 1936. During the years between 1931 and 1936 the minister lived in a room at the rear of the memorial Church building in Kingscote, travelling to hold services in the Penneshaw Church regularly as is done today, with the assistance of local lay preachers at other times.
Originally the Penneshaw Methodist Church was a timber frame with corrugated iron cladding. this was later changed to asbestos cement cladding and new window frames fitted. The cost of this change was paid by Mr. L. E. Clark, a prominent church member.
The building has been used continuously and regularly for services of worship and proclamation of the Christian gospel since it was built.
The Church ceased to be a Methodist Church in 1977 when the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Christian Churches united to form the Uniting Chuch in Australia.
Rev. Potts conducted the inaugural service in 1883 using an old bible that was later found in the fork of a she-oak tree at Reeves point in 1837 [1887?]. It is believed that this bible was one of those presented to the first settlers at Kingscote in 1836, as the South Australian Company presented all children with a bible. [see image, "The Bible", below]
On 26th November 1933, a Jubilee service, at Penneshaw used this bible, as did Rev, Curnow in 1985. Rev, Curnow used this bible at the Centenary Service in 1985, and the descendants of the Rev, Potts, presented the Penneshaw U/C Church with the present church bible. The 1833 [1887?] bible in the Hawkins collection has the signatures of all the Ministers on the island since 1906.
This is a true copy of the details held by Mr B. Bates, Mrs. C. Hawkins, Rev, A. D. Bennet, Island & Adelaide Newspapers. Signed: Dr Brian E. Goble Ph.D.
Today this church has U.C.A. and other denomination services over the weeks of each year, and in the cooler months arranged fortnightly combined services at either Penneshaw or American River Chapel, that was built in the mid-1960's.
The Penneshaw Uniting Church of Australia can be located opposite the Area School at Penneshaw, just west of the town, on the main road to Kingscote.
See This Southern Land - A Social History of Kangaroo Island by Jean M Nunn
The Bible at Penneshaw Church
Several of the names are barely legible. J. M. Gabb, Aug 12, 1905- June 15,1906; H. I. Clatworthy, June 15 1906-1907; T. Ray Caust, April 1907-1908; John Shaw, April 1908-April 8, 1909; Edgar T. Pryor, April 1909-April 29, 1910; Arthur I. Anson, April 16 1910-1911; R. Louis H. Tilbrook, April 14 1911-1912; Bertram S. Howland, April 20, 1913-1914; Edgar Miller, from April to Sept 1914; G. Charles Hutchinson, Nov 8, 1914-15; G. V. Gordon, Apr 11 1915-1916; Frank J. Barnes, April 1916-17; Percy J. Wilkinson, April 1917-18; N. Wright, from Dec 23 1917 to Mar 31 1918; J. Charles Oliver, Apr 1918 - Feb 1919; George N. White, Jan 27 1919 - Feb 16 1920; Leslie G. Hunt, Aug 1920 - Apr 1921; Heber Watson. Aug-Oct 1924; W. H. Coady Nov 1925-Jan 1926; Alfred S. Reynolds, April 17 1927-1929; S. J. Longstaff, 1929 to 2-9-1931.
Subsequent clergy (courtesy Malcolm Boxall): F. Phillips, 1931-1932; Gordon H. Bottrill 1932-33; L. Carthew, 1933-34; S. Keith Wiseman, 1934-36; W. Rex Brooks, 1936-1937; Robert C. Guthberlet, 1937-1938; Walter H. Forth, 1938; N. C. Gunthorpe, 1938-41; C. V. Wiseman, 1941-42; Mr. Stewart, 1942-43; L. Carthew, 1943-44; Ivan S. Davis, 1944-46; Clarence F. Hore, 1946-48;Robert D. Vawser, 1947-48; David F. Cornish, 1948-52;Gowan Armstrong, 1948-49; W. R. Llewellyn, 1952-55; D. J. Gibson, 1955-59; B. G. Tossell, 1959-63; M. V. Norman, 1963-67; Elaine Bird1963; Joan Hamdorf, 1964; Fay Gregurke, 1965-66; Thelma Holmes, 1967-68; W. R. Dow, 1968-72; T. J. O'Brien, 1973-75; Ian Clarkson, 1976; J. Desmond Ivens1977-1981; Matt J. Curnow, 1982-85;Eric M. Grabb, 1986; Graham J. Hunt, 1987; David A. Cramond, 1987-1990; Garry Watters, 1988-94; Trevor G. Klar, 1991-1995; R. M. (Bob) Hutchinson, 1996-99; John H. Magor, 2000-2004; Louise Davis, 2003-13; Brian H. Scott, 2005-07; Heather Willmott2008-May 27,2012; Robert Tann, 2013-
In the early days, church services were held in private homes. On the completion of the school building in 1922, services were held therein, later transferring to the hall where all denominations held services. In 1966 the Methodist Church was built."Birth of American River 1802 and events to 1978" compiled by Charles A. Thomas, p. 40.
As the population grew, churches paid more attention to Kangaroo Island. No Methodist home missionary had visited the island for many years until in 1882 Matthew Burnett was appointed to do so. He travelled from Glenelg on the steamer Dolphin. Paris, the telegraph master, and Partridge, a settler from Wisanger, met him at Kingscote. Partridge had been conducting regular services in his home for those settlers who lived near him. . Burnett, reported to have been a reformed alcoholic, conducted a series of temperance meetings at Wisanger, Cygnet River, and Hog Bay. Henry Octavius Thompson presided over the meeting at Wisanger, where Harry Smith, who had lived at Smith's Bay for nearly 60 years, was among those who attended. At a similar meeting at Hog Bay 34 people, including George Bates, the oldest resident on the island, signed the pledge. ...
Many settlers placed rooms in their homes at missionary Burnett's disposal as he travelled over rough roads to visit the islanders. He reported that there were 18 families at Hog Bay in 1883, and 150 people attended his service there. There were four families at North Cape, six along the north coast, four at Cape Borda and several at stations along the south coast. During a seven day visit to the island Burnett travelled 120 miles, chiefly on horseback, and delivered 12 addresses.
When the Methodist home missionary, J. Broadbent, arrived at Hog Bay in 1883 it was necessary for passengers to go ashore from the steamer in a small rowboat. There was no hotel and the only lodging house was a cramped cottage. Broadbent's horse was lowered into the sea and swam ashore. During Sunday men fished in Hog Bay from the steamer to supply Monday's market in Adelaide.
After Broadbent had preached at Cygnet River, Dr Shaw, a presbyterian doctor stationed on the Island, gave him a donation for the Methodist mission. In Kingscote Broadbent stayed with J. DeCoque, a Roman Catholic, who was about to open a store in Kingscote. DeCoque promised to donate 5 pounds to the Methodist Church when the foundation stone of a building for that purpose was laid. Support from people of other denominations indicated the island's community spirit. A doctor on the island and a store about to be opened suggested that social progress was taking place.- Jean Nunn, This Southern Land, pp.168-170
1882 Hog Bay, Kangaroo Island, has been favored by a visit from the Rev. M!r. Watts, Wesleyan minister, Yankalilla, who conducted divine service, and preached an earnest and interesting sermon to a large congregation, the place being over crowded. Another visit will be anticipated with great delight by the people of Hog Bay.NEWS OF THE CHURCHES. (1882, January 13). Christian Colonist (SA : 1878 - 1894), p. 3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article217299685
Kangaroo Island Courier, Saturday 2 April 1921, page 2
Mr L. G. Hunt who has been in charge of the Methodist Church on the Island, will leave on Monday, accompanied by Mrs Hunt and child, to take op his new appointment at Lucindale. His successor, Mr H. J. Beck, who was formerly in charge of the West Suburban circuit in the city, is expected to arrive on Saturday next.METHODIST CHURCH. (1921, April 2). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191554142
Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), Saturday 8 April 1922, page 2
Great surprise and regret was felt in Kingscote on Tuesday when the sad news of the death of Mr H. J. [Heber John] Beck was received. Mr Beck, who was 66 years of age, had been in charge of the Methodist Home Mission on Kangaroo Island for the past twelve months, and left by the Karatta on Monday morning, accompanied by Mrs Beck, for a fortnights holiday in the city. He was apparently in good health, though recently had recovered from an attack of gastritis. On dis-embarking from the Karatta at Glenelg Mr Beck carried the luggage from the jetty to Victoria Place, where the North Terrace train leaves for Adelaide, and on the way to the station remarked upon the heaviness of the bags. He boarded the train, but at St. Leonards he was noticed to be in a fainting condition. Assistance was at once summoned and restoratives applied, but they were of no avail and death ensued. During his residence on the Island Mr Beck made many friends and was highly respected throughout the districts. The deepest sympathy is felt by all for Mrs Beck in her sad bereavement.OBITUARY. (1922, April 8). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191552868
A farewell to Mr E. H. Harrison, the Methodist Home Missioner, who leaves on Monday for Point Neill.VALEDICTORY. (1924, April 5). The Kangaroo Island Courier (Kingscote, SA : 1907 - 1951), p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191549397
Cygnet River Chapel
South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Wednesday 2 September 1885, page 3
KANGAROO ISLAND, August 31.
A large number of residents from all parts of the Hundred of Menzies assembled at Mr. T. Northcott's section, Cygnet River, to celebrate the opening of the recently erected Wesleyan Chapel there. Tea was prepared by the ladies of the immediate neighbourhood. Afterwards an entertainment, comprising songs and recitations, was given in aid of the Building Fund. The proceeds were about £8.KANGAROO ISLAND, August 31. (1885, September 2). South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), p. 3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44949183