Emu Bay Jetty
"Emu Bay was proclaimed as the town of Maxwell in December 1882, with the present name being adopted on 20 February 1941."
1918 a new timber 109 metre jetty was constructed and opened. Also serviced Smith Bay to the west. Fresh water well on the beach.
1960 shortened to 98 metres x 2.5 metres.
2001 extended to 122.5 metres, redecked, handrails and boarding steps installed.Collins, N. 2000. The Jetties of South Australia - Past and Present. p.212
This jetty stretches out over the tranquil water of Emu Bay with the sand dunes of the far coast seen in the distance. In the foreground there are a pair of wrought iron gates. [On back of photograph] 'Emu Bay Jetty, Kangaroo Island / Presented by proprietors of News and Mail'. c.1936.State Library SA. B 9510.
EMU BAY JETTY.
Amongst the greatest trials of the agriculturist on Kangaroo Island is the difficulty in transporting produce to market. The farmers at Emu Bay have long suffered under this disadvantage, as they had a long, rough road to travel before they could put their produce, principally barley, on shipboard. This inconvenience has been removed, as the Harbors Board have constructed a jetty which will enable ketches to load without difficulty. The jetty was officially opened for traffic on September 22 by Mr. V. H. F. Cooke, chairman of the Kingscote District Council, in the absence of the Minister of Marine, who was prevented by official duties, from being present. Mr. E. Hall, a resident of the district, has been appointed harbormaster.Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), Friday 20 September 1918, page 1